We welcome grandparents into the school community and appreciates the valuable role they play in the lives of their grandchildren.
There are over 1600 grandparents raising their grandchildren in Tasmania.
We can help grandparents who are raising their grandchildren with financial assistance, including levies through the Student Assistance Scheme (STAS) and other financial assistance such as the Spectacles Assistance Scheme.
Centrelink is also available to assist financially through several student allowances – call Youth and Student Services on 13 24 90.
There are a number of support groups available to assist grandparents raising grandchildren.
Where to start:
- If you are a grandparent raising your grandchild, please contact the school to notify them that you are the primary carer.
- Know that we welcome you into our schools and value your support.
- Ask your grandchild’s school about financial support that you can access.
For your grandchild:
- Make yourself known to the principal and your grandchild’s teacher.
- Let them know of any changes that might affect your grandchild’s wellbeing.
- Find out what’s happening at school and get involved.
- Read the newsletter for upcoming events and go along.
- Volunteer at school – share your skills and expertise.
- Join in with school activities and associations to help build support networks.
- Find out about grandparents raising grandchildren support groups in Tasmania.
Where can you get more information?
- Your grandchild’s school.
- Your Learning Service.
- Centrelink – Youth and Student Services 13 24 90.
- The Commissioner for Children’s website at www.childcomm.tas.gov.au
- Google ‘grandparents raising grandchildren’ for a list of support groups.