Education in the early years is a vital part of children’s learning and development. The skills and values learnt in the first few years of life, stay with children forever.
KtoY2 Improvement has been adapted from the National Quality Standard (NQS) and is a similar model implemented in Western Australian schools.
In 2023, 16 Tasmanian government primary schools have been selected to participate in the Approach to continue to improve the quality of early learning.
The K to Y2 Approach incorporates 7 quality areas, 15 elements and 40 standards. The Quality Areas are:
- Educational program and practice
- Children’s health and safety
- Physical environment
- Staffing arrangements
- Relationships with children
- Collaborative partnerships with families and communities
- Governance leadership
The purpose of KtoY2 Improvement
The purpose of KtoY2 Improvement is to:
- improve the educational and developmental outcomes for children attending Kindergarten to Year 2
- promote continuous improvement in teaching, leading and learning
- promote the protection, safety and wellbeing of children in the early years
- build on whole school quality improvement plans
- develop a school-wide culture of continuous improvement.
The guide will assist early years teachers and school leaders to:
- build an understanding of the Kindergarten to Year 2 Improvement and Tasmanian Quality Standards
- highlight how the approach can assist to improve the quality of education in the early years
- explain the use and assessment of the approach in Tasmanian government schools.
For further information please contact the KtoY2 Improvement team on 03 6165 5793