Canvas Parent is an online program that allows you to be a part of your child’s school learning.
If your child’s school uses Canvas Parent, you can:
- see your child’s upcoming or past assignments
- receive alerts for student activity
- view teacher feedback for your child’s learning
- view a calendar of due assignments and upcoming school events
- communicate with your child’s teacher.
Contact your child’s school to find out if they are using Canvas Parent.
How do I access Canvas Parent?
Parents can log in to Canvas in two ways:
1. Using a web browser such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge to visit the following webpage: https://canvasobserver.education.tas.gov.au
Quick tip: use the Canvas Student App.
We recommend downloading the Canvas Student App instead of the Canvas Parent App. The Canvas Student App includes all assessment information which the Canvas Parent App does not currently provide.
How do I log into Canvas Parent?
- Open the Canvas Parent website or the Canvas App you have downloaded on to your phone.
- Type in the email address you gave to your child’s school when they enrolled.
- You will be directed to your Google or Microsoft account login as part of Canvas security.
- Log in to Canvas using the password to your email account. You do not need to create a new password.
Quick tip: Google and Microsoft accounts
A Google Account is a username and password that can be used to log in to Google applications like Docs, Sites, Maps and Photos.
A Microsoft Account is created when you log in to Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive, Xbox Live, Bing, Microsoft Store, Windows, or MSN.
What should I do if I am having trouble logging in?
The email address you provided at the time of your child’s enrolment will be used to create your Canvas account. If you cannot remember the email address used, please contact your child’s school.
Setting up a Microsoft or Google account
The email address you provided to your child’s school must be linked to a Microsoft or Google account. If you don’t have a Microsoft or Google account, you will need to create a one and then update your details by contacting your child’s school.
- Create a Microsoft account: How to create a new Microsoft account – Microsoft Support
- Create a Google account: Create a Google Account – Google Account Help
- Contact your child’s school or your local library if you need help creating a Microsoft or Google Account.
- Try logging in to your Google or Microsoft Account separately. This will test whether the account is working and the password is correct.
If you have forgotten your Google or Microsoft account password, you will need to reset your password before you can continue:
How do I view my child’s courses?
On a web browser you can view your child’s courses from the Dashboard or select Courses from the Global Navigation bar then choose All Courses. This will give you a full list of your child’s current and past courses.
On the Canvas App, you will find a list of your child’s courses on the Courses page.
You will only see courses that have been published by the teacher. If your child’s teacher is not using Canvas, then the course will not appear on the dashboard.
View more than one child’s courses
On a web browser you can view all students connected to your account from the Dashboard.
On the Canvas App you can select the student you wish to view from the Student Selector in the Menu.
How do I communicate with my child’s teacher using Canvas Parent?
Canvas Inbox can be accessed from the Canvas Menu. From the Canvas Inbox you can send and receive private messages. Your child’s teacher will do their best respond to you as soon as they can within working hours.
On the Canvas App, you can also send messages from within a course or an assignment. When a message is sent from a course or assignment details page, the course instructor is automatically selected as the message recipient, and the subject field includes the student, assignment, and course name.
How do I see upcoming assignments and events for my child?
On a web browser, select Calendar from the global navigation menu. The Calendar gives an overview of upcoming assignments and events for the courses selected. Click on the item to see more details.
On the Canvas App, the Calendar page gives an overview of upcoming assignments and events for your child. Tap the item to view details.
How do I view feedback on my students submitted work?
The Marks page displays current grades for course assignments. You can also view assignment scoring details, comments, and rubrics. You can view assignment marks and comments by opening the course and selecting Marks from the course navigation or on the Dashboard sidebar select View Grades.
Quick Tip: Get more out of the Canvas Student App
We recommend using the Canvas Student App rather than the Canvas Parent App to view feedback on your child’s submitted work. The Canvas Parent App is a limited version of Canvas and does not currently show teacher comments or rubrics.
How do I set my Canvas notification settings?
Canvas includes a set of default notification settings. Notifications will be sent to your email address or through push notifications on your device with the Canvas Parent App.
To update your Canvas notification preferences, access the guide: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an observer?
How do I change the language preference in my user account?
You can choose to view Canvas in a language other than English. To change your language preference, view the guide: How do I change the language preference in my user account?
Can an additional parent be given access to the parent app?
Only parents listed as parent/guardians within the school’s student management system can be given Canvas Parent access.
How do I get more help with Canvas Parent?
- The Canvas Parent Help Menu on the App or web browser displays customized help links.
- You can visit the Canvas Observer Guide for more information and help: Observer Guide – Instructure Community.
If you are experiencing problems logging in, please contact your child’s school to check your information is correct.